Monday, February 7, 2011

Dixon's Famous Chili

Do you remember those TV commercials a few years ago where a man stops in the middle of a square in Venice, Italy and proclaims, "I love this woman! I love her, I love her!" It was for some Diamond company. The guy must have definitely "Gone to Jared" because he was being way too Tom Cruise for the moment. I never understood the guy's random over-reaction or why the girl would say "yes" to a guy who freaks out in public like that - I mean, imagine the proclamation of vows at the wedding, or while they were registering at Macy's for goodness sake. Embarrassing!

Yet, today I write to tell you that on Friday, it took all the restraint in the world not to be THAT GUY. Don't worry, I'm too cheap to travel to Venice or buy a diamond.

I am NOT too cheap, however, to travel to Independence, Missouri and buy some chili ... at Dixon's Famous Chili.

Upon looking at the menu, I fell in love. Upon eating my food, I wanted to scream ... "I love this place! I love it. I love it. I love it." Thankfully, I am not enough of a D-Bag to scream that in public, plus I have just enough respect for my friend, Joe, to not subject him to verbal displays of affection toward the plate of Tacos and a Chili Dog in front of me.

Chili Dog! Trust me...there is a dog and a bun under there.
Tacos!

(Yes, I combined two of my orders from the past few week's into one glorious meal this week. More on that in a minute.)

But, I'm hear to tell you: That sort of knee-jerk reaction would have been justified. Dixon's Chili is what legends are made of. I've known about the place for decades - literally. While the place may be virtually unkown to many readers of this blog, trust me...Dixon's Chili is famous in Independence and across the Metro (and well, well beyond). President Harry S. Truman frequented the place. Lamar Hunt dined there. So does Mitch Holthus - voice of the Chiefs and the Missouri Valley Conference.

It's located at 40 Highway and Blue Ridge Cut-Off, real close to the Truman Sports Complex. And catty-corner from the equally legendary Hi-Boy Burgers (which is, of course, on my list).

By all accounts, Dixon's chili (the food item) is different from your mom's chili. Ordered "regular" and you'll get a simple plate of seasoned ground beef. But you can order it with or without beans, and "soupy" or "juicy" - depending on whether you want to add meat juice or bean juice (I don't remember which was which.) The kind waitresses will help guide you in your decisions. Then, they'll top it with cheese, onions and such per your request. I will be going back soon to tackle the Chili dish.

At the table, they have two condiments, and one of them is not ketchup. They obviously follow the Dirty Harry way of life, which I completely respect. Ketchup is lame on such things as Chili and Hot Dogs. The condiments at the tables at Dixon's are....drum roll... a nice and spicy mustard and a spicy/tangy malt vinegar type thingy. The vinegar was superb. I doused it all over my Chili Dog and Tacos.

Speaking of Hot Dogs and Tacos, both dishes (which are meals in themselves, trust me) each took up a whole plate. The hot dog and bun on my chili dog was lost among the perfect chili concoction loaded over it. The chili used for the chili dog was more like what Mom would make. It was perfect. Plus, doused with the mustard and vinegar, I was in Heaven (Independence Heaven, which from what I hear is now home to the Heaven Missouri Mavericks and Heaven Missouri Comets and Bass Pro Shop).

The Tacos were incredible, as well. They are manageable in size. I ordered three, because of the chili dog in the equation. However, you can order the "All You Can Eat" tacos for like $7 - now offered everyday. That is the way to go. I have a friend who claims to have eaten 27. I believe him. I think if I put my mind to it, I could eat 10. I'd like to hear your achievements, or perhaps your claims of how many you could eat. The salsa was simple, and very good too.

The service was terrific. You just walk in and sit down and somebody will come over and take your order. The menus are listed on the wall (at the front and back of the dining room). There is a little guide to your chili on a table tent at your table. If that doesn't do the trick, your waitress will help you.
The menu..from an angle. More importantly, in impressive Independence fasion, check out the Neon Chiefs sign and the photo of Harry Truman.
Dixon's has been around forever, and I'm totally mad at myself that it's taken me this long to finally check it out. It was the best lunch I've ever had. Period (at least I think it was...or at least that I can remember...and my memory leaves a bit to be desired. But still...) I will be back very soon.

After all, like Diamonds...."Chili is forever."
Enter the Saltine Crackers...

All good things must come to an end.

-BTF

3 comments:

  1. Another great post. I would definitely recommend trying High Boy. It's a classic burger stand with big burgers and some pretty decent tots/fries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask for a little soup and a little grease when you go back for the chili. Add the chili powder and vinegar, scoop it up with crackers, and you'll be a happy man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheeseburger w. waffle fries... I put the vinegar on the fries...amazing.

    ReplyDelete