Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Danny Edwards' Boulevard BBQ

When I was a kid, my dad would tell me that you don't discuss religion and politics among friends and acquaintances. Wise words from a wise man. Words I will most certainly share with my children when they actually start listening to me (which, from what I hear comes over about a 2-year span from when they turn 9 to their 11th birthday). So I have a few years.

When that time time does come, however, my life experiences will lead me to add one more line to that adage: Never discuss religion, politics or Kansas City barbecue among friends and acquaintances.

Good idea don't you think? Just so things stay civil. It doesn't matter if you're talking about the restaurant, the meat, the sauce, the fries or your preferred order, each of us has our opinions. We all have our beliefs on who, what and where is best.

And those beliefs are deeply rooted in passion, field research and sticky fingers.  It sparks one heck of a debate. I'm sure each of you have taken part in at least one of these heated conversations.

Well, today, I'd like to start a new debate with this statement: Some of Kansas City's best barbecue is smack dab in the middle of our famed Mexican food district ... The Boulevard.

Yes, Danny Edward's Boulevard BBQ is good. Damn good. And, if you ask me, it keeps getting better.

Located just west of Ponak's Mexican restaurant on a small plot land right off the curb of Southwest Boulevard, Danny Edward's Boulevard BBQ serves up awesome barbecue for a good price in a classic setting.

Boulevard BBQ is Danny Edwards' second iteration of his locally famous restaurant. The place relocated a few years ago from Grand Boulevard near what is now the Sprint Center. It used to be called "Lil' Jake's Eat It and Beat It BBQ" (or something close to that) given the small digs and lack of seating.

However, his new location has just the right amount of seating. Plenty of tables that always seem to be full. I guess that's because most people who frequent the place still know it's best to eat it and beat it. It's just common courtesy...and always smart to get up and about as soon as possible after eating a plate of beef, beans and fries.

So, I was excited to spend Fat Tuesday with my good friend, Conor, at Boulevard BBQ. Conor had never been there, so I was excited to see his reaction to a new place ... instead of the old faithfuls like Bryant's, Oklahoma Joe's, Jack Stack, Gates and Arby's. Well, scratch Arby's ... but seriously, have you tried their barbecue sauce? Good stuff.

He ordered the pulled pork sandwich with a side of spicy beans.

Look at that overflow of pork. Nicely done.
I ordered the beef sandwich with a side of fries and spicy beans.
Isn't that bun beautiful? The fries taste like salty, buttery, greasy potatoes. In other words, perfect.
Look at the thickness of the beef! Best beef sandwich I've had in a long time.
Don't worry, I sauced it up even more with every bite.

Conor said his pulled pork was terrific, as was his order of spicy beans. I often get the pulled pork, myself, and I would agree with his assessment.

On this day, however, I wanted to give Boulevard BBQ the beef test. You see, I'm a firm believer that the beef sandwich, anywhere you go, is the riskiest sandwich to get. It can be fatty, greasy, gamey...anything.

Danny Edwards's beef sammy was up to the test. It was pure gold. Each bite melted in my mouth, literally. It was that good. The slices of beef were thick and very tasty. I like to load it up with sauce (personal preference) because I'm a sauce man.

Some men like (chicken) breasts. Some men like (pork) butts. Me? I'm a sauce man.

It's the reason I love barbecue so much ... the different sauces. Bryant's Bold & Spicy, Gates' Sweet & Mild, Oklahoma Joe's original and Danny Edwards' original. Don't worry, just like at most of those places, the sauce is waiting for you at the table at Boulevard BBQ. Just squeeze and enjoy.

The price is very affordable, especially if you get the deal of the day. We're talking about $8, a steal compared to Arthur Bryant's. But when it comes to barbecue ... good barbecue... price is not an issue, anyway.

I will pay top dollar for some of the world's best meals, which we have right here in Kansas City at our finest barebecue joints. For me, on this day, it was Danny Edwards' Boulevard Barbecue. Tomorrow, it may be Oklahoma Joe's or Jack Stack. Regardless of my preference from one day to the other, I'd say Boulevard BBQ can hang with the big boys any day.

Try it. I would expect no debate.

The Eat It and Beat It spirit is still alive. By the time I sopped up the last drip of sauce with my last fry,
they snatched my plate before I could snipe a pic!
- BTF

2 comments:

  1. Josh love reading these and following you on where to eat! jept up the good eating and posting! I have to disagreed with on one thing Rich as a wise man! lol
    John Lillis

    ReplyDelete
  2. good review! i always wondered about that
    place. now i know its worth stopping by
    and tryin another good KC BBQ.

    ReplyDelete