Monday, January 24, 2011

BRGR

So, this week I traveled to Taco Bueno! Actually, Taco No Bueno! That place sucks. And yes, it actually exists. There's one in KCK, and a few other locales here around town. And no, it's not really what this week's blog is about. Don't worry, there will be no more taco joints for at least a few weeks.

Instead, my travels took me and my family to BRGR in Prairie Village's Corinth Square Saturday evening. And by "evening", I mean 5 p.m. Do you have any idea of the kind of people who eat dinner at 5 p.m., especially on a weekend night? And in Prairie Village, no less? And in Corinth Square, even more no less? That place is the Mecca of old people. Tippin's Restaurant actually survived 10 extra years because of the 90 year olds who flocked to Corinth Square to eat a piece of pie to be home in time for Wheel of Fortune.

Note: please don't be offended by my Corinth Square comments. I actually love the place. After all, it has an Arby's. And my "old people comments" are completely unfounded, and based solely on going to Tippin's one too many times while it was still open to get a piece of pie and be home in time for Wheel of Fortune.

Anyway, back to BRGR. And speaking of Wheel of Fortune: I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat! Is it B-U-R-G-E-R?

Given our early arrival, I was confident we'd stroll in and be the only ones in the place. Instead, a maze of walkers and oxygen machines greeted us (just kidding) as did about 10 other families with kids slurping down milkshakes and ignoring perfectly good Kiddie Meal hot dogs on their plates (not kidding). My mouth was salivating. I love Kiddie Meals.

Part of my hunger pangs came from the fact that my wife, Sarah, and I had plans to join friends for dinner at the Capital Grille that same night. To me, Capital Grille is the greatest thing since sliced...fillet mignon. But I can only afford to go there once every time I crave it. Alas, we had to cancel because our son was sick and our baby monitor's frequency doesn't stretch all the way down to the Plaza. Thanks for nothing Grayco.

Joking aside, BRGR - despite the fact it couldn't afford to buy a vowel - is actually a super hip burger joint that attracts people of all ages, and was absolutely packed to the gills on Saturday night. It was lucky we did arrive so early. We were seated immediately. But not 10 minutes after we arrived, the place was standing room only, and the bar and hostess areas were jam packed...each group staring directly at us, despising us for occupying a potential table.

There's nothing more satisfying than eating a meal at a table while other people scowl at you and secretly wish you'd choke on your food so you keel over dead, thus vacating your spot. Because of that, we ordered milkshakes for dessert. And we enjoyed every last drop before taking 15 minutes to zip up the kids' coats and double checking that we didn't forget anything.

Before we did that, however, we ate. And we ate well. BRGR is a terrific concept, with a good ambiance, and by all accounts serves terrific food. Before I go any further, if you haven't been, you should go. You'll like it.

I've been to BRGR several times, and each time I've ordered a different burger. Nothing, however, has been able to match the first burger I ever ordered from there. That particular burger was named the "Pittsburger." It had coleslaw and fries ON THE BURGER. Yes please.

This time, though, I asked the waiter what his favorite burger was. He was very helpful and knowledgeable about the menu. He gave me a few choices that he preferred. I accepted his suggestion and ordered the Knob Hill. I'm sure that the name Knob Hill is a clever play on some historical event related to the topings included on the burger. However, I have no clue what that might be. The Knob Hill comes on parmesean encrusted bread, and has grilled onions, Russian dressing and some sort of cheese, I forget what kind. It was white, though. If that helps paint the picture better.
My BRGR. Fries in the background.

The Knob Hill was no doubt tasty...very, very flavorful. However, I was raised to believe that a burger should be served on a bun. Not a piece of bread...unless it's called a Patty Melt. In that case, it's fair game. Nonetheless, I was a little taken back by the artsy-fartsy bread that sandwiched my burger. It seemed like it belonged on a billboard for Panera's sandwich of the month. Not my style. And the Russian dressing left a little bit to be desired. I'm not picky, honestly, I just wanted a little more bite out of the dressing. It obviously wasn't Barq's brand Russian dressing, if there is such a thing.
Editor's Note: Was that "Barq's" comment the lamest joke of the year so far? Survey says....Ding, ding, ding. Yes, it was.

Alright I'm rambling, the fries were decent and the milkshakes were runny. However, the appetizer killed. The Chilli Fondue was awesome. Soft pretzels, and blue corn chips to dip into a cauldron of zesty cheese. The pretzels were absolutely great. Not too doughey or salty. Just right...(They reminded me a lot of myself, to be honest.)
Cheese in a pot. Pretzels before i got a hold of them.

The joint makes their own ketchup and mustard. Both of which are really, really good.
Homemade condiments.

And I'm serious about the milkshakes. They were presented well, but McDonald's makes 'em better. For what I paid, I expected more.
Just because you put whipped cream on a milkshake doesn't mean it makes it good.

BRGR has other things on the menu, if you don't like burgers...or, I'm sorry, BRGRs. You can sub chicken on any of them. And they have salads and such...if you're watching your manliness.
Chicken sandwich, off the women's menu.

Speaking of manliness, I was a little dissapointed in myself that I barely finished my burger. Maybe because I was a little jealous of the man at the table to next to us who was chomping on a Pittsburger. No wait a minute, that was Shannon Sharpe talking too closely to Dan Marino on the CBS NFL pre-game show. Never mind.

All in all, BRGR is dfntly wrth chckng t. Just get there early on a Saturday night.
My BRGR, halfway through.

- BTF

3 comments:

  1. JB, Time to upgrade that cell phone with one that has a decent camera! Or it could just be the photographer! Ha! Funny stuff. Come up north and I'll treat you to the "Best tacos of your life"! At least that's what the menu says! No yellow cheese served here.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. just got an e-mail from my friend alli asking if
    i had read this weeks entry, and how funny it was.
    also, that it sounded like a good place to try out. i agree! thanks for keeping us informed on different
    choices in kc. 2 of the 3 i have never heard of, so enjoy learning of new locations to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the post, josh. I can't wait to try the zesty queso dip!

    ReplyDelete