Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ninfa's Tortillas & Taqueria

Every once in a while there is a little restaurant in Kansas City that I'd never heard of and I think I'm the first one to find it. But the second I start bragging about how I ate at this unknown, incredible place, every one I tell about has already been there. Always the last to know...

That was the case this week, when a family friend treated me to lunch at Ninfa's Tortillas & Taqueria in KCK. It's a classic Mexican joint along Kansas Avenue ... just down the street from one of my favorite places in all of existence: El Pollo Rey...where the only choices on the menu are a "whole" chicken and a "half" chicken. But that is for another day...and it will be a glorious day when I go there again.

Back to Ninfa's - After just one visit, I think I may have found a regular spot to visit. I thought my lunch mate John had opened eyes to a place no one had heard of before. Boy was I wrong. I quickly learned that Ninfa's was one of my Papa's favorite restaurants. Then, after telling a friend about my awesome lunch, he promptly said, "Yeah, I was there on Tuesday. I love that place." Damn. I'm not as tapped in to the Kansas City restaurant underground as I thought.

The place is known for its home made tortillas. Let me tell you, they are ridiculous. Fresh, warm, and perfect with salsa and squeeze butter. Yes, squeeze butter. Each table is manned with a bottle of Parkay. Yes, Parkay. I didn't even know they still made Parkay. I'm pretty sure Ninfa's may be keeping that company in business.

Ninfa's salsa is unique. It's nice and chunky, almost relish-y. Loved it. One thing absent from the table was the endless chips and salsa that so many Mexican joints offer. It was actually a pleasant surprise, especially since the chips were replaced with the homemade tortillas. I'll take that trade any day.

Speaking of tortillas...for lunch I ordered the fried flour tortilla tacos. It featured two massive tacos in a flour tortilla deep fried and flaky. It wasn't greasy at all. The waitress suggested the beef as the perfect meat to go with the fried flour tortillas. With the fried corn flour torillas, she suggested pork. Just an FYI. I made a mental note for next time.

Anyway, my dish was awesome. The tacos broke a part on me a little bit, mainly because of the size of the tacos. I happily scooped up the remainder with a fork. The meal also came with beans (standard) and rice, which was a little different. I can't really explain it, but normally I pass on the rice and beans option. This time, I was happy I allowed it onto my plate.

We asked for extra tortillas, and we ate them all. It really was an impressive meal. I suggest you head over to KCK and check this out soon.

Next time, I'm going to get the tamales, which I hear (from all those folks who already know about this place) is the best thing on the menu. On our visit, they were fresh out. Maybe that was just there way of making sure I come back...which I will, and soon!

- BTF

(Note: Where's the photos, you ask? My phone ran out of batteries on my way down to the restaurant...But here's a mental picture: There was a ton of food on my plate when it arrived. When I was finished, all that was left was lettuce. Well done, Ninfa's. Well done.)

2 comments:

  1. Ninfa's is great! They sell their tortillas by the dozen so I recommend picking some up for when you cook at home too - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, Josh - can't wait to try it! We knew there had to be some great authentic Mexican joints in KCK, but didn't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete